- Read the latest EMSS related news
- EMSS product and service information (i.e., dialing patterns, provisioning, etc.)
- EMSS FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)
- View and/or modify EMSS pager MDA (Message Delivery Area) settings
- Send a SMS/text message to an EMSS handset/ISU or pager
- View EMSS customer service contact information
- EMSS and DTCS Products, Equipment, and Accessories ++ (291 KB PDF document) - updated 08 March 2017
EMSS is a Satellite-based Personal Communications System (PCS), utilizing a commercial satellite infrastructure to provide voice and low data rate data services from a mobile, lightweight terminal through a DoD dedicated gateway which accesses the Defense Information Systems Network (DISN). It is capable of providing secure services, in addition to non-secure access to commercial telephone services.
EMSS supports DoD missions and operations, as well as other Federal, National Security, and Emergency Preparedness (NS/EP) communications. The DoD-Enhanced MSS system complements military terrestrial and satellite communications and improves warfighter beyond-line-of-sight connectivity by offering global access to all echelons of the Department of Defense.
Modifications to the commercial system enable DoD to offer unique features such as end-to-end Type-1 voice encryption and protection of sensitive user information. The DoD has established a dedicated Government EMSS gateway providing remote access to the Defense Switched Network (DSN), FTS-2001, Commercial Long Distance, Commercial International Long Distance, and the Defense Information System Network (DISN).
- Global Coverage - Polar regions (90° N / 90° S), ocean areas (no gaps), airborne service, secure global handheld communications
- Encryption - End-to-end Type 1 Voice and non-secure data capability
- Security - Protection of sensitive user information, US Government control, Denial of Service protection, DSN MLPP access
- Broadcast service
- Protected paging
- NIPRNet connectivity
- Short Burst Data (SBD) messaging